In this exercise you are required to select the most appropriate marketing strategy (from a list of four presented) and then develop a suitable marketing mix to implement that strategy. This activity will be focused on the strategy and marketing mix for a proposed new chain of Italian and pizza restaurants. The four possible strategies currently being considered by the firm’s investors are listed below.
Possible Strategy A
- Offer a unique range of high quality pizzas
- Use unusual ingredients (with choices such as oysters, kangaroo, avocado)
- Create innovative and unique pizza tastes
- Set new standards for pizza restaurants
Possible Strategy B
- Create a fun and exciting dining experience
- The restaurant should look and feel like a café in Italy
- Employ fun, outgoing and energetic staff
- Probably have a large outdoor dining area as well
Possible Strategy C
- Offer a very convenient service
- Aim to become the “McDonald’s” of pizza by offering very fast service (pizzas ready in 5 minutes and home-delivered inside 20 minutes)
- Mainly take-away and delivery options
Possible Strategy D
- Become the discounters of pizza
- Focus on operating a very lean and efficient business and compete mainly on price and always undercut the competition
- Have a ‘value’ based positioning focus
- Which of the four strategic options suggested would be the most effective in competing in this market?
- For the strategy that you selected in Q1, develop an appropriate marketing mix (for example, what products should they offer, at what quality, with what ingredient choices, and so on). You should either use the 4Ps or the 7Ps, whichever one you believe is more suitable, (but ensure that your marketing mix will effectively deliver the proposed strategy).
- Do you think that this new pizza chain, as you have constructed it, will be successful? Why?