product mix, product classification, marketing mix, consumer products
Review the activity below or download the PDF student worksheet
- Student Worksheet: Classifying Consumer Products
- Instructor Solutions (Members Only): Classifying Consumer Products = Solutions
Student Discussion Activity
Consumer products can be classified (see list in question area) into different types, in order to better understand their consumer’s behavior and to assist in the design of their supporting marketing mix.
Your task in this activity is to appropriately classify the following list of products.
- Wide-screen TV
- A new car
- Charity donations
- A mobile phone
- Computer games
- Hot coffee
- A tennis racquet
- Life insurance
- A haircut
- Can of soup
- Soft drink (soda)
- Flowers (as a gift)
Student Discussion Questions
- Start by classifying the above products into either: convenience products, shopping products, specialty products, or unsought products.
- Are there any products that be classified into more than one category?
- In what ways could a marketer benefit from this classification system? In other words, how does it help guide them in their marketing activities?
- The Consumer Products Classification Scheme
- Marketing Mix Decisions for Shopping Products
- Marketing Mix Multiple Choice Questions = Set A
- Marketing Mix Multiple Choice Questions = Set B
- Product classification and the theory of consumer behavior (Academic Journal)