BCG matrix, portfolio management, strategy
- Preferred format: This teaching activity is designed for either individual students or to be completed in small groups of students.
- Student audience: This exercise is more suitable for students of marketing strategy, and perhaps some students of introductory marketing.
- Exercise time: The group discussion time should be around 15-20 minutes, as there are several BCG’s to review.
- Additional resources: Download the free Excel template to make the BCG matrix, a handy tool for students = BCG_matrix_Excel_template
Review the activity below or download the PDF student worksheet
Student Worksheet: Trends in the BCG Matrix
Student Discussion Activity
Below there are several BCG matrix examples shown. In each case, the portfolio/s has been tracked over time.
You have two questions to address for each BCG matrix.
- What is probably happening to make the portfolio move in such a pattern on the BCG matrix?
- What implications are there for the firm managing this portfolio – that is, what guidance is provided by the BCG matrix?