BCG matrix, portfolio management, strategy
- Preferred format: This teaching activity is designed for either individual students or to be completed in small groups of students.
- Student audience: This exercise is more suitable for students of marketing strategy, and perhaps some students of introductory marketing.
- Exercise time: The group discussion time should be around 15 minutes.
- Additional resources: Download the free Excel template to make the BCG matrix, a handy tool for students = BCG_matrix_Excel_template
Review the activity below or download the PDF student worksheet
- Student Worksheet: Analyzing the BCG Matrix
- Instructor Solutions (Members Only): Analyzing the BCG Matrix = Solutions
Student Discussion Activity
Below there are several BCG matrix examples shown.
Your task is to review each and determine whether the firm in question has a suitable product portfolio. In each case identify the strengths and potential concerns of their portfolio structure.