positioning, target markets, new products
Review the activity below or download the PDF student worksheet
Student Worksheet: Positioning Kid’s Home-delivered Food
Student Discussion Activity
For this activity, you need to select the most appropriate positioning for a firm that currently home delivers pre-prepared food, on a weekly basis, to people who are trying to lose weight. They have now decided to pursue an opportunity in providing a somewhat similar product, but this time, targeted at children.
You have been presented with a number of different positioning alternatives that the firm could adopt for this new target market – which one would you choose?
Alternative Positioning Options for Kid’s Home-delivered Lunchboxes
Option One – As a weight-loss product
- For = Many kid’s are becoming over-weight
- Against = Kids may be embarrassed to take to school
Option Two – As a convenience/easy way to organize kid’s school lunches
- For = Both parents work in many families and time is important
- Against = Some parents may be embarrassed that they have to outsource their kid’s lunch (as potentially seen as disorganized or lazy)
Option Three – As a simple way to provide lunchbox variety
- For = Kids get bored with the same lunch every day
- Against = Many kids (particularly younger ones) are fussy eaters and may not eat lunch at all on some days
Option Four – As an up-market ‘gourmet’ lunchbox
- For = May attract parents who want to communicate success
- Against = Extra perceived cost may limit the size of the market
Student Discussion Questions
- Which positioning approach, of the four presented, would you suggest that company should adopt?
- On what basis (criteria) did you determine that this was the best approach?
- Can you suggest any other alternative positioning approaches that may also be viable?
- In what ways will the positioning approach selected affect the firm’s marketing mix for this target market?