positioning, perception, perceptual maps
Review the activity below or download the PDF student worksheet
- Student Worksheet: Creating a Perceptual Map
- Instructor Solutions (Members Only): Creating a Perceptual Map = Solutions
Student Discussion Activity
Your task here is to construct a perceptual map, based on your understanding of 10 different university subjects. While it is not strictly a business exercise, this activity is an excellent way of understanding the concept of constructing a perceptual map.
It will help if you select two distinguishing (determinant) attributes for the map’s axes. Remember there is no right or wrong solution, as a perceptual map is designed to visually show perceptions (that is, your understanding).
Please plot these 10 subjects onto a perceptual map:
- Marketing research
- Financial management
- Human resources
- Marketing strategy
- Consumer behavior
Student Discussion Questions
- Which two determinant attributes did you select for the perceptual map?
- Do you think that the map demonstrates significant differences between your perception/understanding of these subjects?
- In what ways does your map differ from the maps of your fellow students? Why would you expect this to happen?