Different situations will affect a consumer’s purchase decisions. This activity is designed to explore that concept. Your task here is to identify how many different drinks/beverages you (being one consumer only) would choose across the various situations listed below?
What type of drink/beverage would you choose?
- On a hot summer’s day
- For breakfast
- During a 15-minute lunch break
- When in a bad mood
- At the beach with friends
- On a cold winter’s night
- When waiting around for an hour
- At a sporting event
- As a birthday gift for a relative
- With only 5 minutes before a lecture
- At dinner, at a restaurant with that special one
- At a fast food place by yourself
- When you need an energy “pick-me-up”
- When you want to celebrate
- For refreshment after exercise
- What beverage would you choose in each other situations listed? How does this compare to your fellow students’ responses?
- Does your choice differ or remain consistent?
- If it differs, how does this affect the marketing of beverage products?
- How important, do you think, it is for marketers to understand the concept of situational influence? Why?