For this exercise, you are required to determine the positioning goals associated with various positioning slogans. In the table below you will see a number ‘well-known’ positioning slogans. For each one, outline what you believe the slogan means and what it is trying to communicate.
- Because I’m worth it (L’Oreal)
- Have a break (Kit Kat)
- Priceless (MasterCard)
- Finger lickin’ good (KFC)
- Eat fresh (Subway)
- Choice of a new generation (Pepsi)
- Have it your way (Burger King)
- The world’s local bank (HSBC)
- Good to the last drop (Maxwell House)
- Breakfast of champions (Wheaties)
- What are each of these positioning slogans trying to communicate?
- Do your perceptions of their message differ in any significant way from your fellow students?
- Do any of these positioning slogans imply anything about their competition?
- How would the product’s marketing mix need to be structured in order to successfully support their positioning goals?
- Pick two or three positioning statements that you believe are the better ones. Why are these ones better?