promotion, perception, advertising, messaging
Review the activity below or download the PDF student worksheet
Student Discussion Activity
In this activity, marketing students will evaluate a few press and billboard ads to determine whether the messaging is clear and effective.
Review the following ads for Silberman’s Fitness Center, Kit Kat , and Honda.
The ads are cleverly designed to be both “attention-grabbing” and to convey humor, and most importantly, trigger the target consumer into action. Your task is to assess whether they are effective pieces of advertising.
Student Discussion Questions
- Do you think that these ads would have a good “cut-through” and get attention? Why/why not?
- Do you find them humorous?
- Who is the likely target market in terms of the age group and lifestyle?
- Thinking about the target markets, how do you think that they would react to (or feel about) the ad?
- As a result of your response to question 4, do you think that these ads would have been successful in attracting first-time and repeat customers?