strategy, place mix, retailing, in-store design, 7P’s
Review the activity below or download the PDF student worksheet
Student Worksheet: Designing the Retail Strategy
Student Discussion Activity
Even a simple retail business, like a fruit and vegetable store, requires a clear strategy in order to be successful. This is actually becoming a greater challenge, given the expanded product offering of the major supermarket chains (who offer their own fruit and vegetable sections).
Your task is this activity is to determine your strategy for a suburban fruit and vegetable store, to ensure its continued success. A number of potential ideas have been listed below to get you started.
Potential Success Factors for a Fruit and Vegetable Store
- A broader range of produce (unusual fruits/vegetables)
- Higher quality produce (at higher prices)
- Lower prices (which may imply lower quality)
- Specialist in organic produce
- Specialist in particular produce (that is, just fruit)
- Convenient location (on a main road with easy parking)
- Fast service (have a drive-through store on a main road)
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
- Provide a food preparation service as well (that is, cut up your fruit/vegetables while you wait)
- An exciting/attractive store look/design
Student Discussion Questions
- What success factors (from the above list) would you use in your fruit/vegetable store?
- Do you think that your design would effectively meet a market need?
- Do you think that your design will allow you to effectively compete against the big supermarket chains?